Saturday, April 16, 2011

dare i live

The torches are in hand.
                                                       time for FIRE.

That fire emits from our conscious desire to move away from the status quo of what the world wants to where God wants us to be. We move into that position only by risk - and that type of movement isn't comfortable. We are confronted by looming barriers of risks everyday - from walking into the boss's office to responsibly demand the raise that was promised and conveniently forgotten - to moving forward with a promising relationship that is unlike any you've ever had. Not taking risks ensures absolute defeat - crashing through the barrier of risks ensures CEO positions and strong, happy couples.

Remember, risks are uncomfortable. They etch against our very human psyche. When we see uncertainty looming, blind curves of misunderstanding, or derelict bridges spanning the unknown - how easy is it to simply say, "Let's tackle this issue next week." And next week becomes later this month, later becomes next month, and soon - next month becomes next year. Putting the risks off only send us deeper into a hole that provides a more, seemingly impossible climb out, as our digging progresses. Easy is easy. Uncertainty adds spice to the Gospel and brings about Truth. 

In 2005 I traveled with some friends to St. Simons, GA to a Fellowship of Christian Athletes Leadership Camp. The guest speaker was a man named Gary Taylor. The last day of camp, he read to us out of his journal. This is what he said---

"Though there is a sense of wonder in visually soaking up the spectacular--there is potential danger in touching it. Poison ivy, stinging insects, biting ants--all this and more lurks mid itchy grass. I'll walk near it, I'll gladly sit back and observe it, but I won't risk rolling through it--bare-back touching--I want nothing uncomfortable.

"The love of the Father is fresh and growing. It to is beautiful, but it's a love that carries potential danger. It stings my self-sufficiency; it causes my faith to itch in places that I can't comfortably itch to scratch. I'll walk as near to his love as possible but often I don't want it to touch my bear skin. I like seeing God safely...from afar. I enjoy catching a whiff of his freshness, as a gentle breeze blows favorably in my direction---but touching God involves nearness--nearness requires risk--dare I live willing to risk.

"I must step out of comfort zones and get up from cushioned chairs and venture outside of rooms with picture windows and roll in His grassy love. I don't want to but I must. I'm embarrassed that I love nature from the air-conditioned side of a sliding glass door. I'm even more ashamed that I love God in much the same way: in climate-controlled, Gary-controlled sanctuaries.

"So Father, this is my prayer-- 'Nudge me, send me--rolling, tumbling down a hill of waist deep, beautiful, itchy, fresh, stinging Creation-infested love, life near You--more than I even realize I need that touching contact with You. But touching you involves nearness--nearness requires risk--dare I live willing to risk....' How about you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment